I am a die-hard STP (Sticky Toffee Pudding) Lover and make it quite often. I tweak it a little bit each time I make this. I believe that by far this is my most favourite version that I have made. Whiskey in the Toffee sauce is optional and if you don't have it in the house you can leave it out as I have made this on many occassion without alcohol and it has turned out equally delicious. On an icy wintery night a big slice of this on my plate would make these British winters all the more bearable. This Easy Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe comes together quickly and you can't go wrong even if you tried. I would go as far as - it is a Foolproof recipe and my favourite of all the versions that I have ever made. This really fits the criteria for make ahead desserts that also freezes well.
Can you freeze Sticky Toffee Pudding ?
This STP cake also freezes really well when wrapped tightly in clingfilm and stored in an airtight ziplock bag. I just defrost it in the fridge overnight with its wrapping intact or over the counter if short on time.
Can you freeze sticky toffee sauce ?
You can freeze sticky toffee/ caramel sauce in the freezer. We have safely used sauce that has been frozen and thawed in the fridge overnight 2 months later. It can last up to 1 month in the coldest part of the fridge, although I don't recommend keeping it any longer than 30 days as the sauce has cream in it which can deteriorate in taste with time.
Can you make it in advance ?
This recipe can be made ahead of time which makes it perfect for any dinner party or date night meals. I normally make it night before serving as it tastes even better next day.
What equipment you might need to make STP ?
I used electric hand mixer but you can easily make this with hand whisk as well. I used a 8 x 8 inch (20 x20 cm) square pan , alternatively you can also use a round springform (20cm diameter) pan too. If you change the type of pan to bake this you will need to keep an eye on the baking times. It might bake faster or take longer depending on size of the pan you have used.
What do you serve with Sticky Toffee Pudding ?
We usually serve STP with various options like icecream, whipped cream or simple thick custard/Ambrosia etc. No matter what option you choose this STP won't disappoint you.Print
Quick and soft spongey homemade sticky toffee pudding and whiskey toffee sauce
For the sponge
225 gms Dates, chopped (I used a mix of Mejdool and Zamli)
¾ tsp Baking Soda
250 ml Water, boiling
110 gms Golden Caster Sugar
70 gms Dark Muscovado Sugar
230 gms Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs, large
100 gms Unsalted Butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Mixed Spice (I use M&S one as it has dried orange peel too)
Whiskey Toffee Sauce
280 ml Double Cream
150 gms Golden Caster Sugar
80 gms Dark Muscovado Sugar
230 gms Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp Any Scotch Whiskey (optional)
pinch of fine sea salt
Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Pour 250 ml boiling water into a medium sized bowl. Soak the chopped dates and stir in baking soda into it. Keep aside and start rest of the cake prep. If you dont have time to chop dates just blend them later before adding it to cake batter.
- Grease and line a 20 x 20 cm (8x8 inch) square cake tin. Preheat the oven at 180 deg C / Gas Mark 4
- Beat the softened unsalted butter till smooth, then add sugar and beat till pale and fluffy. This step might take 3-4 minutes if done by electric hand whisk.
- Add one egg and beat till well combined and repeat for each egg addition.
- Add vanilla extract, mixed spice into the batter and beat for half a minute to combine it well.
- Fold the dates mixture alongwith water into the batter. If dates are not chopped then you can partially blend them and add in.
- Sieve the measured flour directly into the bowl and fold until well incorporated. No white streaks of flour should be visible
- Pour the final batter into the lined cake tin and bake for 45 minutes. I needed an extra 10 minutes but keep checking your cake after 45 minutes for doneness. Insert a skewer or sharp pointy knife and it should come out clean without any wet crumbs.
- Whilst the cake is baking proceed to make the toffee sauce
Whiskey Toffee Sauce
- Put all ingredients in a large pan on low heat until butter is melted. Once butter has melted increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. You can skip whiskey in this recipe and it would still work perfectly fine. Alternatively you can substitute with any other alcohol or liquer of your choice.
- Continue to boil for about 4 minutes or until sauce coats the back of a steel spoon. Set aside till you are ready to serve.
- You can warm the sauce on low heat and pour over slice of sticky toffee pudding just before serving. Remaining sauce can be stored in an airtight container for upto 1 week in the fridge although it may not last that long.