spicy prawns pie in a mashed potato crust and top
5 large potatoes, boiled and mashed
3 large red onions, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1 teaspoon Pathare Prabhu sambar masala (see here)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
1 cup shelled and deveined baby or small prawns
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat your oven to 180 deg C
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and wait till they splutter and add the chopped onions with a pinch of salt and sauté till translucent.
2. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and Pathare Prabhu sambar masala.
3. Add the chopped prawns and cook on a high flame. Dry out as much as possible so that there’s no excess moisture. Ensure that you keep stirring so that the onions and masala do not burn. If the masala starts to catch then sprinkle 1 or 2 tablespoons of water and stir.
4. Season the potato mash with salt, roasted cumin seed powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, coriander leaves, 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp Pathare Prabhu sambar masala.
5. Grease the baking dish, put in half the seasoned potato mash and arrange in an even layer.
6. Top with the prawns filling and spread evenly. Cover with an even layer of the remaining half with the rest of the seasoned mashed potatoes.
8. Beat an egg and brush this over the top layer followed by a thin layer of breadcrumbs.
9. Bake at 180 deg C or Gas Mark 4 for around 20-30 minutes or till browned on top. This timing will vary depending on your baking dish and oven.
Keywords: Karandi pie, spicy prawns pie